1. San Art Interpretive Centre: 5 km
2. Monks Cowl Nature Reserve: 16 km
3. Arthur Creswell Memorial Marathon: 29 km
Cathedral Peak Drakensberg Holidays - KwaZulu Natal
Click here for Cathedral Peak Accommodation
Hikers from all over the world come to conquer the mighty Drakensberg Cathedral Peak. Likened to a spire, Cathedral Peak stands alone, separated from the Drakensberg escarpment by centuries of erosion, making it one of the most majestic and most climbed peaks in the Drakensberg.
Reaching a height of 3004 metres above sea level, and surrounded by the Hlambanja Wilderness area - a place filled with the most breathtaking scenery, Cathedral Peak is an ideal Drakensberg mountain retreat. Accessed via the villages of Winterton and Bergville, and in close proximity to Royal Natal National Park, Cathedral Peak is a popular destination for nature lovers. Here birdwatchers can spot numerous species, making bird spotting an interesting pastime, and it's not unusual to share the trails with small buck, porcupines or even the odd baboon.
Hikers can anticipate a day hike to summit Cathedral Peak, involving some rock scrambling up the eastern face, which can be done without a rope in dry conditions. Then, when you're heading back to your Cathedral Peak accommodation after your hike, cool off in a stream cascading down Cathedral Peak.
If you prefer a more sedate sport, fishermen can enjoy the peaceful Drakensberg surroundings while indulging in a spot of fly-fishing in one of the numerous rivers and fresh water Berg dams stocked with trout and bass.
What to do in and around Drakensberg, Cathedral Peak:
- Golf at the Cathedral Peak Hotel Golf Course set in spectacular Berg scenery.
- Walk to Rainbow Gorge, named for the kaleidoscope that forms in the spray from the stream.
- Take a flip over Cathedral Peak in a helicopter.
- The San Art Interpretive Centre provides fascinating insights into the art and culture of the Bushmen.
- Thokozisa Lifestyle Centre houses the Central Berg Tourist Information Centre, and a variety of shops and galleries.
- Wine taste overlooking the vineyards at Cathedral Peak Wine Estate.
Also visit towns around Cathedral Peak in the Northern Drakensberg: Bergville; Little Switzerland; Mont-aux-Sources; Winterton and Spioenkop Dam.
And in the Southern Drakensberg: Drakensberg Gardens; Lower Berg Foothills; Sani Pass; Cedarville and Kamberg.
Cathedral Peak Hikers Guide:
- Always use the 'buddy system' and travel in groups.
- Carry First Aid.
- Carry a satellite phone for emergencies when necessary.
- Carry all-purpose weather clothing.
- Provide, tasty, nutritious snacks.
- If you are attempting the Bell Traverse west of Cathedral Peak, there is practically no water, so fill up beforehand.
- Lightning strikes are a risk in summer.
- If in doubt, rather do hikes with a guide.