1. Monks Cowl Nature Reserve: 7 km
2. Thokozisa Lifestyle Centre: 10 km
3. Drakensberg Polar Bear Swim Challenge: 15 km
Champagne Valley Holidays - Drakensberg & Surroundings Tourism, KwaZulu Natal
Click here for Champagne Valley Accommodation
Champagne Valley in the Drakensberg Mountains of KwaZulu Natal is towered over by two mountains, Cathkin Peak and Champagne Castle Peak, which is one of the highest peaks in the Drakensberg & Surroundings. Situated in the Mdedelo Wilderness Area of the Central Drakensberg, Champagne Valley is accessed via the N3 through Winterton, which is said to have received its name from the first climber’s need to celebrate at the Drakensberg peak with a bottle of champagne, only to drop it before he could commemorate his notable achievement.
As a popular family destination, the Champagne Valley, Drakensberg & Surroundings is renowned for the number of activities available that will keep your family entertained throughout your stay:
- Hike in the Drakensberg, Monks Cowl Nature Reserve.
- For an unforgettable adventure, horse ride through Champagne Valley.
- Hot air ballooning in Champagne Valley is a wonderfull way to experience the Central Drakensberg.
- Golf at Champagne Sports Resort, rated as SA's most beautiful golf course.
- Bowl at the Drakensberg Nest Hotel on three championship bowling greens.
- Fish at the Bell Park Dam for rainbow trout in Champagne Valley.
- For Champagne Valley arts and crafts, visit African Loomers based at Ardmore Guest Farm.
- A visit to the Bird Show near Cathkin is a must.
- Pamper yourself at beauty / wellness centres at The Drakensberg Nest Hotel and Champagne Sports Resort.
- Indulge in fabulous cuisine at Champagne Valley Resorts.
- Enjoy music in the Champagne Valley Drakensberg mountains with The Drakensberg Boys’ Choir.
- For a little bit of history, Champagne Valley is about 45 minutes from the historic battlefield sites.
Visit towns in or near near Champagne Valley:
- White Mountain Area (62.6km from Champagne Valley accommodation)
- Winterton (on the Central Berg border)