1. The Bridge at Greenacres Shopping Centre: 3 km
2. St. Croix Motor Museum: 3 km
3. Guinea Fowl Trail: 4 km
Nelson Mandela Bay Holidays - Eastern Cape Tourism, Western Region
Click here for Nelson Mandela Bay Accommodation
Eastern Cape, Nelson Mandela Bay (also known as Port Elizabeth), invites holiday makers to visit PE - fondly known as the "Friendly City".
Lying on the shores of the magnificent Eastern Cape Algoa Bay, Nelson Mandela Bay is famous for its beautiful beaches, which includes St Georges Beach, which boasts the much sought after Blue Flag status, as well as the very popular Nelson Mandela Bay King's Beach with its kiosks, restaurants, mini golf and go-kart track, making it ideal family fun. Enjoy almost any water sport you can think of at PE Hobie Beach, known as one of the best beaches in the Eastern Cape, or relax at Nelson Mandela Bay Humewood Beach which is quieter, and offers lots of shade for the sun-shy visitor, With its mild winters and limited rainfall throughout the year, Nelson Mandela Bay is an attractive Eastern Cape holiday destination to both locals and international visitors.
Nelson Mandela Bay's combination of eco-attractions and adventure makes it one of the Eastern Cape's top tourism getaways, sure to provide holiday makers with endless hours of entertainment. A multitude of attractions include the Nelson Mandela Bay PE race track, a massive bouquet of Nelson Mandela Bay museums to choose from, nature reserves, hiking trails, an aquarium, lion park, the Nelson Mandela Bay casino, and a variety of historical and cultural attractions.
For the golf lover, (PE) Nelson Mandela Bay offers the golf lover 3 superb 18 hole golf courses:
Walmer Country Club is the Port Elizabeth course which is a genuine challenge to the amateur golfer; Port Elizabeth Golf Club, commonly known as “The Hill”, is one of South Africa’s oldest golf clubs, and Humewood Golf Club is a must for any golfer visiting the friendly Eastern Cape city of Nelson Mandela Bay.
Other things to do while in Nelson Mandela Bay:
- Happy Valley - a magical wonderland of well known children's characters.
- BayWorld Oceanarium - one of the biggest and best dolphinariums in the world.
- Port Elizabeth Museum contains interesting exhibits of both natural and cultural history.
- Nelson Mandela Voting Line Sculpture - 38m long, metal sculpture featuring Nelson Mandela.
- South African Air Force Museum boasts a total of nine aircraft, including helicopters and a supersonic jet fighter.
- St. Croix Motor Museum - private collection of about 80 vintage motor vehicles dating as far back as 1901.
- Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium - a must for soccer fans!
- Nelson Mandela Metropolitan Art Museum - see collections of South African, British and Oriental art.
For the more energetic:
- Walk the 9km Cape Recife Nature Reserve trail.
- Cycle the 23km Baakens River mountain bike trail.
- Swim at the McArthur Baths Swimming Pool Complex.
- Cricket and bowl at St George's Park.
Visit towns in the Nelson Mandela Bay area:
- If you are flying into Nelson Mandela Bay International Airport, Humewood lies a convenient 3km away.
- To the south, Summerstrand is just minutes from the Nelson Mandela Bay beachfront.
- To the north, Walmer is also another ideal place to stay if you need to be in close proximity to PE Airport.
- Head north to Nelson Mandela Bay, Mill Park, just 450m from Port Elizabeth Golf Club.
- Also right around the corner from PE Golf Club is Nelson Mandela Bay, Glendinningvale.
- Drive 2.8km north-west to Greenacres, synonymous with the renowned Eastern Cape Greenacres Shopping Centre.
The many suburbs that comprise Nelson Mandela Bay makes this coastal Eastern Cape area outstanding value for money for visitors both on business and holiday. Nelson Mandela Bay offers a diverse selection of attractions, including scenic nature trails, historic heritage, magnificent wildlife, cultural experiences and countless water sport activities. Nelson Mandela Bay is also in the unique position of being on the Indian Ocean, as well as in close proximity to a number of malaria free Eastern Cape Game Reserves such as Shamwari Game Reserve - home to the Big Five, as well as Addo Elephant Park, the third largest national park in South Africa.