1. Addo Raptor and Reptile Centre: 8 km
2. Addo Rose and Garden Show: 9 km
3. Addo Elephant National Park: 12 km
Eastern Cape, Sunland Holidays
Click here for Sunland Accommodation
Tucked away in the Sundays River Valley in the Eastern Cape, Addo Elephant Park, the quaint village of Sunland lives up to its name, because it's known as the Eastern Cape town where the sun shines virtually all year round. Founded in the early 1920's by Percy Fitzpatrick of ‘Jock of the Bushveld ' fame, the Sundays River Valley settlements including Sunland, have grown and flourished in this fertile Eastern Cape hidden valley.
Called the Eastern Cape 'Citrus Capital', and lying in the heart of the 'Valley of Oranges', Sunland is surrounded by farm lands which burst into bloom during October, filling the air with the fragrance of orange blossoms. During the April to September citrus picking season, Sunland, Eastern Cape buzzes with activity, culminating in the annual Sunland Citrus Festival, which brings locals and visitors onto the banks of the Sundays River, where craft exhibitions, dancing, food and beer tents entertain Eastern Cape holiday-makers and local families alike.
Besides the magnificent citrus farms, Sunland also overlooks rich, Eastern Cape game reserve bushveld, and is in close proximity to the Amakhale Game Reserve, Lalibela Game Reserve, Eastern Cape, Shamwari Game Park, and the world famous Eastern Cape, Addo Elephant Park.
The Addo Elephant Park (18km from Sunland via R336 and R342), is located in the malaria-free Sundays River Valley. Ideally suited for the outdoor adventurer, the Addo Elephant Park uniquely offers visitors to the Eastern Cape the best prime game viewing, as in the Big 5 opportunity - rhino, lion, elephant, leopard, buffalo, and because the Eastern Cape Addo Elephant Park extends to the sea, southern right whales and great white sharks make the Big 5 the 'Big 7'.
Things to do in Sunland, Eastern Cape:
- The picturesque Shamrock Chapel is built to resemble a barn, and was born through the owner's love of organ music. This unique Eastern Cape chapel is home to the Lauterbach Organ, which was built in 1872, and stood for 30 years in a barn preparing for the day when she would become a church member. The "Old Lady" was later donated to Shamrock Chapel. Shamrock Chapel with its beautiful scenery overlooking the Sundays River Valley, is open for organ concerts, artist retreats, Eastern Cape weddings, baptisms and other religious services.
- For a true understanding of all that is magnificent in the Eastern Cape, Sunland Lookout is a 'must visit' - a place to absorb the abundant beauty and restore the soul. Sir Percy FitzPatrick, the founder of Sunland, lies buried alongside his wife on this Eastern Cape lookout with stunning views of the Sundays River Valley. Just off the R336 that connects Sunland and Kirkwood, the Sunland Lookout's high vantage points offers breathtaking views of his legacy to the Eastern Cape. The Eastern Cape Lookout and surrounding land was donated to the public by Sir Percy's family, and is now an Eastern Cape National Monument.
Explore Addo Elephant Park area towns near Sunland, Eastern Cape:
Eastern Cape, Kirkwood - 23.3km (19 minutes) from Sunland accommodation
Eastern Cape, Uitenhage - 36.4km (38 minutes) from Sunland accommodation
Eastern Cape, Colchester / Cannonville - 37.4km (43 minutes) from Sunland accommodation